Friday, May 7, 2010

Julia's Dangling Tooth

Ahoy Matey


Voila, it's finally out!

One day she might disown me as a mother for this post, but it's all in the name of posterity.

For weeks now she's been grossing people out during Sacrament by wiggling her tooth with her tongue, until they just want to lose their lunch or take pliers to her mouth. She found their expressions of horror and disgust pretty amusing. We secretly did too, so we didn't do much to stop her.

Last weekend I unwillingly woke up from a much needed nap to Mark's high pitched laugh followed by him yelling, "JUST TWIST IT THE OTHER WAY ONE MORE TIME!"

I was still trying to ignore them, but everytime I tried to continue my slumber I'd hear him yell "OH MY GOODNESS, IT'S ALMOST GOING TO FALL OUT!"

All the while Julia was giggling uncontrollably. I finally sat up as they both came rushing in yelling, "LET'S GO SHOW MOM!"

I was a little grumpy to be awake, but their need to include me did make me feel good. Julia sat right beside me and proceeded to twist her tooth all the way around and do her best pirate impressions. We snapped a few pictures and then I decided to finally put an end to all of the tooth twisting. I got up and grabbed my sewing kit {you all know I can't sew, but it does come in handy sometimes} and looked for my one little spool of pretty pink thread. I figured I needed to make my idea for tooth extraction as convincing as possible for Julia, so I at least picked out her favorite color.

I gently wrapped the thread around the tooth in question and then I YANKED!

No, I didn't really. I'm not that mean or daring. I just wrapped the thread around her tooth and tied it into a little knot until the tooth detached. The whole thing went quickly and smoothly until the tooth started to slide to the back of her throat and I thought she was going to choke on it. Our feelings of relief and triumph turned into panic, but Mark reacted by lunging her head forward, which made the tooth roll right out. Julia cried for a second and then said, "I knew Mom would be able to get it out. That's why I came to her." Thanks for the vote of confidence my sweet girl!

Note to self... next time I'll make sure her head is NOT tipped back.

4 comments:

Molly said...

LOVE IT!!!! Julia is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! And please next time do not choke my girl :)

Cecilee said...

LOL...this story made my day!
Paislee is having trouble getting her teeth out and Kason is having trouble getting his in...the fun just never ends:)

Jamie Martin said...

Yikes- I make Jeremy do all the dirty work like pulling the teeth! The kids are too cute!

Colleen said...

Julia looks too cute without her tooth! I'm glad she didn't choke on it! A friend of ours was doing his residency & had to deal with organ donation after a little girl died from choking on her tooth! It's so scary to think about that!